Sunday, February 15, 2015

Countdown to March 19th

I go in for arthroscopic shoulder surgery on March 19th. I was nervous, now I've just accepted it for what it is. There was the fear that even with the surgery, there's a very real possibility I may not ever be able to lift again, let alone do push-ups. But, I then realized that it doesn't change anything currently. I'm not lifting above my head right now, and if surgery can't remedy that, it's not making a huge difference in my life than what I've been dealing with since September. Slightly pessimistic I know, but if they can make it so I can reach my seatbelt instead of flinging my entire body towards the door to reach it, that's a plus. If it helps me put dishes away and reach clothes on the top shelf of my closet without it feeling like my shoulder's going to pop out and not make the awesome crunchy sounds it does right now, that's a lot better than I'm doing now.

However...I'm going to do my best to prove the overly cautious doctor wrong. Step 1: regain full mobility. Step 2: regain strength. Step 3: do a friggin push-up. Step 4: swing a damn bell. Just as I've posted on Facebook today, there are 2 types of people. I can't worry about the what-ifs, should-haves, etc. My shoulder is what it is. Obviously doing PT for the next year will be a change. My workouts will be completely different, as they already are. But, I can't let these changes run my life or change my goals. It will merely keep me from reaching them sooner.

Yesterday's mail contained my fancy packet of information regarding surgery. I go in Thursday, March 19th. I am expected to start physical therapy 2-3 days post-op. I know it's going to be a struggle, and painful, and great, and the hardest thing I've ever done. As the doctor said, this is a life changing surgery. I just hope it makes me a better person, athlete and coach. Not the 29, almost 30 year old who has accepted a life without push-ups, pressing anything overhead or lifting a kettlebell.

As for the surgery, seems pretty straight forward. Trim torn piece labrum, insert anchors to use sutures to reattach labrum. Makes me a little queasy thinking about them drilling anchors into my bone, but hopefully it works. And works well. It's got some work to do afterwards.

Some images for you.
Surgical folder. Everything I need. Phone numbers, addresses, instructions, etc.


Step by step diagrams of the repair itself. Photos from MMG, LLC.

This will leave me a bit more time to update this, so I will be writing more than I have been. We'll see how this goes.



No comments:

Post a Comment