Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Talk about slacking...

Well, shit. Seems like it's been almost a year since I've written anything?

I'm still lifting, and still opinionated, so that hasn't changed.

Why all of a sudden have I decided to put my thoughts down for people to read?

I'm tired. I am 100% tired. Of one thing above all others. I am so tired of...

"I Can't"

It makes me want to scream.

I'm not talking about JUST in the gym either. "I can't" is cop out. It's lazy.

The gym is the obvious choice for what I'm talking about. But this also applies to daily life. There are things that come across my desk at work where I have no idea if we can do it, but we sure as hell sit down and figure it out as best we can. It may be something we've never done before. It may be something we have done, but will need to be done in a completely different manner (ever ride a boom lift 50 feet in the air?). There is nothing better than figuring out how to do something and succeeding. It's much more gratifying than saying, "I can't do that for you." I honestly don't think we've failed yet. We may have had to start over or re-do something, but we've done it. And the customers have been happy with the outcome.

To me, telling someone "I can't" means "I don't want to take the time to figure it out and do the work." If you had any idea how many times customers have said, "You two are going to do this? You're women." (My co-worker is female too) Ok? Does that somehow mean we're incapable of doing something? Have a little faith, and sit back and watch. Us strong lady-folk love to prove people wrong.

Are there things we are unable to do? Sure. I had a customer wanting to print white on clear air release vinyl. Clear vinyl isn't air release, regardless of your customer's needs. Or if I can't get my pricing down, or a job has a time crunch we literally cannot meet (I have a 30ft box truck I need wrapped...tomorrow), I'll let you know who can do the work for you.

To me there's always an ability to try harder. I'm notorious for not liking to wake up. Especially on Monday's. Could I try harder to not hit the snooze button? Yeah. I'm normally at work between 8:30-8:45, but Monday's it's closer to 9. It's rare I'm ever super late. It's not that I go to bed too late, or am overly anxious about the day so I don't sleep that night, it's more due to sleeping longer on Sunday's and always being so busy with the house, or the gym, or my real job.

So before you decide you "can't" do something, ask yourself:

  • Did I really try?
  • Did I give it my all?
  • Did I exhaust all resources?
  • Did I figure out a work around or a different way to do something?
  • Or am I just quitting because I don't want to?

1 comment:

  1. YUP! Where there is w ill there is a way!!!

    Love you wife!

    ReplyDelete